Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

The Goodreads description is not actually a description of the book, so if you'd like a synopsis you can find a good one here on the Wikipedia page.

I wanted to like this one so much more than I did. I mean, it's WUTHERING HEIGHTS, a book that must be discussed only in tones of hushed reverence with proper respect.

And really, it was fine, just not amazing. The writing itself is exceptional but I struggled with the story. I never felt an ounce of love or admiration or anything positive for Catherine or Heathcliff. They were pitiful, self-involved creatures and Heathcliff was just plain violent and nasty. What is there to like?? Their only redeeming attribute was their love for one another and it's hardly portrayed at all before moving on to all the death and vengeance and whatnot. And, except for Hindley, none of Heathcliff's victims deserved what they got, especially since he mostly went after the innocent children of his supposed tormenters. I just felt like there was so little to redeem the story.

A major part of the problem here is one of incorrect expectations. Wuthering Heights is so often portrayed as a love story but it really is not a love story at all. Like .0126 of the story is anything to do with love while the rest is about violence and abuse and weakness and revenge. Sure, all this comes about because of love, but it is not a love story. And I sort of knew that but I still expected more than there actually was.

I did enjoy the ending though. Heathcliff (spoiler alert) really really needed to just die. I was so done with him. And I was glad that Cathy and poor Hareton had a happy ending. It left a better taste in my mouth there at the end than I was expecting. It would be even better if that obnoxious servant Joseph died at some point as well. Every time he opened his mouth I skipped over what he said because a. it was unintelligible and b. he never had anything of worth to say.

I can see why this book is a classic though. The story is haunting and the writing is beautiful. The setting is stark and unforgettable. The 1939 film adaptation is one of my mom's favorites and I'm looking forward to watching it. Probably not a book I'll read again though.

6 comments:

Janssen said...

The new movie version is pretty darn good too. But then, when don't I love Masterpiece Classic?

Joseph's dialogue you basically have to read outloud. Which means, of course, that I skipped it too.

Kimberly said...

It took me 2 or 3 tries to make it through the book. I doubt I'll read it again, although I rather enjoyed it. Of course, I was reading it for a class, so compared to some of the other texts it was positively modern and uplifting.

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

This about sums up how I felt about this book, too. I was so anxious to read it, and then it was just....okay. Fine. Nothing that I loved or will ever read again. Maybe I'll have to give the movie version a try.

Janell said...

I'm reading this in book club this year - it's probably been a decade since I last read it. I also recently saw the new film and liked it, but felt similarly to you about Heathcliff and Catherine and my inability to like and empathize with them.

And wow! 50 classics in a year? I'm awed. I think I would totally have to give up all internet and t.v. and movies to accomplish that ... maybe that's not such a bad idea. I think you're really going to enjoy A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Persuasion and To Kill a Mockingbird. I need to add some of yours to my list.

Becca said...

I'm totally with you on this one. The only reason I am okay with it is imagining Ralph Fiennes as Heathcliff, because even though he's creepy most of the time, he was dang attractive in The English Patient (although he plays another creepy obsessed lover).

Kristy said...

Jane Eyre is one of my most favorite books, and Wuthering Heights is one of my least favorite. I really have nothing nice to say about it at all.