Monday, January 6, 2014

Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt

From Goodreads:

1987. There’s only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that’s her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn’s company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June’s world is turned upside down. But Finn’s death brings a surprise acquaintance into June’s life—someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart.

At Finn’s funeral, June notices a strange man lingering just beyond the crowd. A few days later, she receives a package in the mail. Inside is a beautiful teapot she recognizes from Finn’s apartment, and a note from Toby, the stranger, asking for an opportunity to meet. As the two begin to spend time together, June realizes she’s not the only one who misses Finn, and if she can bring herself to trust this unexpected friend, he just might be the one she needs the most.


Oy. RA has mentioned Tell the Wolves I'm Home several times in blog posts and on Twitter so I knew I was in for something deep and difficult but wonderful, but I wasn't really prepared. There were some parallels in this book that made it deeply personal to me. I, too, have a gay uncle that I adore. He mercifully made it through the past 4 decades without contracting HIV or AIDS but he has lost friends to it and it's a subject I always associate with him because I think he's one of the few people I've ever even had an open conversation with about AIDS.

I also just happened to be reading this book while the Supreme Court put a pause on same-sex marriage in Utah. Knowing my wonderful uncle and then reading about Finn and Toby...I got really angry. I've called the state of Utah an asshole more times than I care to admit today. But seriously, if more people knew my uncle and people like Toby and Finn then we wouldn't be having this whole awful debate. There would be a lot more love and a lot less ignorance.

Politics aside, it's so hard to write about something that's this well done. It was such a wonderful coming-of-age story about love and loss and sisters and friends and family and gah, it's just so beautiful and also I feel like I've been punched in the face. So you should probably read it.

No comments: